Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Magazine Info

I was looking at the latest issue of People Magazine yesterday and I noticed that the first few pages had advertisements for food: rich chocolates, cakes and goody desserts. As I continued on, I noticed that the pages that followed the ads were all about dieting! Isn't this a little contradictory to advertise sweets to women and then tell them their too fat?
Anyway at the moment I have been reading SELF, the articles not the ads. Even though this magazine has lots of advertisements I still like the stories. The one I read was about a woman getting cancer and what she had to go through. It was both informative and emotional. I couldn't believe how many ads there were. I would say about 80% of the magazine was just ads. Of course they were ads that have to do with health and beauty: Almay, Loreal, Olay, Neutrogena just to name a few. There were also bra ads, and dieting foods. The rest of the magazine was about exercising to stay in shape or get in shape, and how to spice up your love life. I like other magazines in addition to the superficial ones; such as Time. Time has all the scientific stuff and important facts that I like to know. Here is the new story this week for the women out there, you should read this
article.

I prefer magazines over newspaper b/c they are easier to flip through, and navigate, for me anyway. I also like the personal touch. Last class we were discussing how magazines have a tone to them and I agree. The stories written in newspapers are more professional and serious. I like being able to relate to the story and the emotional appeal does the trick for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i read all those magazines, too! (people, self, and time) i prefer them to newspapers as well. good point on the food ads in people magazine! in response to your comment, thanks for giving kidnapped a chance! hope you like it! i used to watch lost but i lost interest (pardon the pun) after ian somehalder was killed. also, i didn't want to follow the storyline anymore. i have my eyes glued to enough tv shows as it is.